Monday, February 24, 2014

How to get media files from whatsapp?

Recently a friend send a video recording to me through whatsapp on IPhone 5s. I wanted to take that file out and put on my dlna server but could not find an easy way to get these files out of whatsapp without paying for some app.

After doing some research I decided to jailbreak the phone and install ssh server on the phone. I found that the its fairly easy to get the files once I have shell access :)

Steps:
Go into this folder:
/private/var/mobile/Applications/

Execute the following command:
find . -name ChatStorage.sqlite

This will give the location of ChatStorage.sqlite . In my case it is at :
/private/var/mobile/Applications/78493F8B-6A56-4CBD-9B03-7855B216A33B/Documents/
Whatsapp media files are stored under Library folder in application's folder identified by a large GUID sepcific to each application. Each peer's media files are in a separate folder (identified by his account id for whatsapp) as shown below:
/private/var/mobile/Applications/78493F8B-6A56-4CBD-9B03-7855B216A33B/Library/Media/14045551234@s.whatsapp.net
You there are many folder under this folder. You can list them using:
find   .            #the dot is important
One you know where the file is you can scp it. You can even scp the whole library on your PC and then figure out which is which.

No comments: